Tuesday, February 28, 2006

E.R.

I'm a bit behind on my blogging. I had wanted to write about the Body Worlds exhibit I saw (human cadavers exposed to show the anatomy of the body, hence the reference to 'dead bodies' in a post down there). I've also been fortunate enough to have seen some really good movies lately, Brokeback Mountain, Crash, Munich, Water, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance etc. I can't recall the last time I saw so many films of such caliber. I should get into a better habit of writing reviews. But it's been a while for these and any feelings have been muted to the point where I feel it's unfair for me to comment. Anyways, something did happen just now that I feel I should share.

My dad called me yesterday to tell me he fell and hit his head. He said it was nothing and didn't want me to worry. Nonetheless I wanted to see him to make sure. I bought him a cake and visited him at night thinking I'd take him out to dinner. I walked into his place and was completely horrified by his visual appearance.

He had an egg sized lump on his right forehead. The upper part of his face was totally purple and swollen. His right eye was partially swollen shut. Left eye was also black. He had a huge bruise the size of my head on his right thigh and various other bruises/cuts. He looked awful. Keep in mind he's 82.

After some convincing, I bundled him up and dragged him there. We were there for 4.5 hours. He had a CT scan, it was normal. I ended up only sleeping 4 hours last night tho, and didn't get to eat dinner.

After question, he admitted that he fell on the weekend. He just hadn't wanted to tell me. I had been confused how he managed to fall and bruise both eyes without hurting them. How does one fall and hit their eyes? Only way I can think of to get black eyes are to get punched. I had actually been a little fearful that they might think I had abused him since he had two perfect black eyes! Apparently during his fall he had bumped his forehead; there was a lot of bleeding and the blood drained into the loose flesh around his eyes. He said he fell on Sat, on Sun the right eye swelled up. On Monday the left eye swelled up as well.

Anyways, the whole thing was troubling to say the least. He's fine now and will have to just wait for time to take the purple swelling/bruising away. Life is quite fragile eh? At the same time I'm encouraging my mom to take care of her funeral plans. I think it's really important that she has her wishes on how she wants to be arranged, and so she should personally look to it before anything happens. She's 72...

Whatever doubts I had about whether I should jump in and enjoy life have been erased. :) I have a select reader base that I know of, and I just wanted to say that I love you guys! Life is unpredictable, our mortality is a fact... don't let fear of embarrassment, losing face or whatever stop you from pursuing what you think is right or will make you happy. It all sounds so clique, but that's what I'd like to keep in mind... maybe you will too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eProps ...I agree, but sometimes we all seem to forget just to do it. Now, after reading your entry, I wonder if I should just quit my job! lol .. hope your dad gets better.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe...
So sorry to read bout your dad!!!(yes..i've started reading your blogs..)
Must be really worried the whole time when he was doing his check up huh...
Its so scary now tt we older and we can actually see our parents ageing so much..
I2 also been thinkin of doing more stuff cos life is indeed too unpredictable...
Miss ya lots :)

3:33 AM  
Blogger Lambchop said...

I agree ... but sometimes there's only so much you can do with ur life now.. not everything's within ur control, and i'm a firm believer of fate ..

4:18 AM  
Blogger lilnymphie said...

Ok that's true too, sometimes life throws you curveballs you can't control. But I mean to say that one should also take risks and not let fear hold them back.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey.. sorri abt ur dad. i hope he's fine now.. u know, we all seem to running after materialistic stuff dat we tend to forget the simpler things in our lives, u know what i mean?... love u lots!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home