On Marriage
I read this article recently on perfect marriages. In the article, the author referred to couples that had spent 30+ years in loving harmony, and asked them what their secrets were. I decided to paraphrase some of the quotes here as they were really touching...
This was regarding a couple, Calvin and Alice, who had been happily married. When asked, he confessed that, "he'd spent his entire life trying to impress her"
"Imagine being married to someone for 30 odd years who still wants to slay dragons for you, who inspires you, day after day, to be the sort of person worth slaying dragons for...Where do you go once you've known love like that?"
After Alice died, Calvin recieved a letter from a reader who wrote that after reading about his marriage, she started judging her boyfriends from then on by the criteria of, "But will he love me like Calvin loved Alice?".
I've always been a believer in Love...even after countless others told me that the best one could probably hope for in life, was to have a good friend beside you in your old age. Most said that they believed relationships usually start with passion (firey and hot), which cools and solidifies to love (steady and dependable), and then lessens in ardor to affection? companionship? friendship? That's not going to be good enough for me, and I don't know why it should be good enough for you either...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home