Monday, November 13, 2006

Belonging

Recently I picked up this book I had started reading from last year. It was about the same time then as well. I had chosen it as the topic really resonated with me. This is how one reviewer summarized it:

Most of us who have lived overseas or even been away from our homes for a while will probably know what it is to feel pangs of longing for home, even if only briefly.

Writer and traveller Isabel Huggan has been putting a lot of thought into what it is that makes us at home, where it is that we belong.

She's just finished a book on the subject, simply called: "Belonging".

Isabel Huggan hails from Canada, but has spent much of her adult life living in other parts of the world, from the very different climes of Kenya, to the where lives now, in a stone house in the foothills of southern France.

It's from there that she speaks with us on Life Matters, about identity, belonging, and what makes someone truly at home.


As someone who's constantly been on the move, living in a different city every month/year, moving every 2 or 3 years, her words are my very unspoken thoughts. When I first started it, I was so touched by what I read that I jotted down notes/quotes from it. To date, I have filled up 10 pages (double sided) of that small notebook.

Every year I go through the same soul searching; every time I have to explain where I'm "from", I have to think...where is my home? To be honest, I have no idea. Maybe that's why I love to travel so much, because I'm still looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home